7.06.2009

The End Times

One of the first gigs I ever had in this city was for a little arts&culture mag run outta Wallingford. It always seemed on the verge of falling over, the magazine I mean, issues coming together in a haphazard fashion as writers delivered or didn't, and ideas got proposed or abandoned or refashioned under rules of order that involved dice, somehow. I wrote some stuff I loved there. And met more than a few people who affected me greatly. One of them was Fred.



Most of you know the story, I think, but what happened was Kate, one of the aforementioned few and the books editor, put up an ad as singer for hire. Fred found it, recognized the author and approached her at a bone-throwing editorial meeting. I can't say with any sort of certainty how I got invited along but it was probably because, as intern, they figured I'd take minutes. Instead, Fred allowed and encouraged me to play lapsteel slide as the odd rehearsals became thrice-weekly regular and the tiny project evolved into The End Times. I could not be more thankful he did. That was three plus years ago.

Because of T.E.T., I've traveled to Detroit and back, recorded with garage legends, done shows in tea kettles and movie theaters and lesbian bars, sung Capt. Beefheart at the Blue Moon, taken part in two choirs, laughed a lot, drank more, learned how to play slide so I could say something I meant, and then said it on songs and with people I loved and believed in deeply.

I've known for a little while, but Fred officially gave word: He and Lori will return to Michigan in August, in a move I'm sure augurs good things for them both. I can't begin to say how much I'll miss both of them. I feel a little bit lost already and they're still in-state.

This also means, for those of who have come and supported us over the years--you fervent and lovely lot you, thank you thank you thank you--the upcoming show at The Rendezvous will be our last for some time.



In one of those cosmic hilarities, our full-length should be done just in time for us to hand out copies to those interested. We've been recording for the past few months. I think you'll love it.

No comments: