2.08.2007

The Roots

The Roots

The Roots

The Roots

The Roots

The Roots

See more here.

The show was pretty damn excellent. I was right up on the stage. No opening act. The Roots came on exactly on schedule and did two hours straight. Then they cleared the venue and did another two hours. Their energy is laudable, incredible, and just a wee bit ridiculous.

They drew primarily from Game Theory, which isn't surprising, I suppose, but I really wanted to re-create the whole Roots! Come Alive album, shouting out "Adrenaline", looking all the world like a pasty pale-faced poseur (say that thrice, stuttering sam), but, alas, it wasn't meant to be. The first part. Not the second.

A few covers worked their way into the set. James Brown. Stevie Wonder. Bob Dylan.

I'd heard the Bob Dylan cover before (c'mon, I'm a hipster music nerd. Of course, I've heard it already. I hear everything before anyone else.) but damned if it wasn't better live. For the interested among you, click here.

All in all, a great night, a great set. Glad I've finally seen them; they truly do live up to their reputation as a great live act, in addition to being one of the most solidly experimental and danceable hip-hop acts going.

Great goddam I love the Roots.

No comments: